Sunday 21 June 2009

Credit where credit is due


Following the recent blog entry (Record Breakers) which listed the people who have helped the project this year, we need to add an additional word of thanks too because Nick M, of Derby Museum and Art Gallery, who wrote that text, of necessity left himself out!

Nick M has been a (some would say the) key player since the project started in 2006. In truth, it has taken over much of his life since then. Although a friend for years, Nick proved to be the ideal partner for this work - in fact he came 'designed for purpose' as they say!
Not only is he an experienced mountaineer, happy to abseil down the cathedral whenever that is required, he is also a very technically minded chap and an all-round naturalist!
Nick set up the platform in 2006 (as the photo shows) and the web cameras in 2007 and 08 (with help from his climbing mate Nick E, who also happened to be a carpenter and just the man to make the platform for us).
They also abseil down each spring to clean out the nest, make repairs and camera adjustments.
Nick also set up the IT systems that enable folk worldwide to see these birds, spending literally hundreds of hours of his own time to achieve the results that we all benefit from today - the web cam views and the blog.
Without Nick, the project would be still in the dark ages with only local people able to see the birds from the ground. How the marvels of IT have opened up the lives of these birds to global scrutiny!
For Nick it had been extremely hard work for sure but also a labour of love. Now the main 'season' is drawing to a gentle close he might get a bit more time to himself.
The third member of the team is Tony G, the Head Verger. Tony has ensured that all the cathedral staff and volunteers have come on board and supported the project. He has opened doors - both physically and metaphorically, enabled us to use rooms in the cathedral to store the watch point equipment, helped with cleaning the nave roof, helped to rescue grounded juveniles.....and so much more.

So, a massive thanks from me to Tony and especially to Nick M. Partnerships can easily go wrong but the three of us have got along fine throughout.....we just need Tony to change his name to Nick to make the whole thing perfect!
Nick B (DWT)
Ps. Do go to the previous posting to see a new video clip that Nick M added just before this one went live.....it shows a nice piece of interaction.


22 comments:

Joy said...

I agree with your comments but a great big thanks to you all. We have been following for the last couple of years and are very fond - if thats the correct word to say - of the peregrins. I also believe that it has helped to put Derby in the forefront of Peregrin watching.

A very big thanks to all of the team

Pax Canada 7.37pm said...

2 on the pudding cam

Jackie said...

I would like to add my thanks to all of you too. I have been fascinated since I first discovered the website at the beginning of last year. You all deserve medals :o)
Jackie xx

Karen Anne said...

Ref the previous thread's comments suggestion, a picture book would be great. One of photos, and/or one aimed at kids.

There are various places on the web, like lulu.com, that produce books in small quantities. (I think they publish each copy when it's ordered, I'm not sure.) I don't know about their quality, though.

wayne1984 said...

RE: picture book suggestion,
i am currently working on producing one of these for this years birds,
so if you can bare with me i will update you as and when i get more information on the date it will be completed.
any suggestions on this could be posted on my blog by clicking on my name and clicking on peregrinepictures.
many thanks

Karen Anne said...

Picture book, I was thinking of something that would raise funds for the project, which really needs them...

wayne1984 said...

Karen Anne that was the idea of the book im producing at the moment

Phoebe said...

The tiercel in in the scrape, I don't know what he is up to but he is having a good rummage round, he looks like he is practising egg sitting. A youngster is above on the pudding cam looking down at dad very curiously...

simon said...

the female youngster is still on pudding cam screaming at dad to get her some grub, funny to watch. i was in Lincoln at the cathedral yesterday watching the two juveniles sceaming at their dad to, funny how both the males at both cathedrals are taking the flack.

Phoebe said...

Yes Simon, although the watchpoints have finished and the youngsters are flying there is still lots to see. They have a lot of learning to do now.

Anonymous said...

Simon, I envy you your trip to Lincoln (or maybe you live there?) There's not enough hours in the day to visit all the sites - I also want to visit Chichester. Lincoln may have to wait till Christmas when I understand the city also has the biggest Christmas Market in Europe. My brother has just told me about another site he found, in Brighton. I googled it and just one hit - from Falco Perigrinus, Froona's old site. What a tug at my heartstrings to see Froona's smiling face looking out again at me.
On the Roll of Honour, you know I think everyone on the project is a hero but if you look back a thread or two, you'll see I opined that I thought Nick M should be awarded a massive pay rise and the Freedom of the City of Derby (yes Nick, show that to your boss!!) In any event, the team should certainly be nominated for some kind of Wildlife Project Award - anyone know of one?

Karen Anne said...

Sue, I googled a bit and didn't find one, but there is a wildlife photography award at

click

That might be something Colin or Wayne etc. would be interested in sending in photos to. Scroll down for a staggering photo of an eagle(?) of some kind.

Pax Canada said...

falcon on the pudding cam

simon said...

hi sue i live in cleethorpes and Lincoln's only 50 mins away, and also there's 2 youngsters together in louth on the church in lincolnshire which is 20 mins away, but their to young to breed yet so I'm well sorted for my favourite bird of prey.for Brighton type in sussex heights peregrine webcam. no webcam but great site and place to visit checkout malham cove, but derby is the best site to view as we all know.

Phoebe said...

There is a webcam in brighton

regencybrighton.com/birds/

It's not as good as this derby one but they have some good short videos too.

Thanks for the brighton blog I did not know about that one.

Audrey (London) said...

One on view Pudding cam - then along came another and blocked my view, didn't really mind, just a pleasure to see them!
May I also add my thanks to all concerned for this site, all the hard work is greatly appreciated.
(cannot wait for 2010!!).

Phoebe said...

I have been watching the pudding cam and there are two youngsters visible now and I think it's dad sat on the edge of the scrape. Would be nice to see all three youngsters on the cams at the same time.

My thanks also to everyone concerned with this fantastic project!

I will be watching for quite some time yet and still visit the Green.

Pax Canada said...

3 on the pudding cam

Anonymous said...

Big thanks to Nick B, Nick M and Tony for making this project to happen. This is indeed very educational, I have learnt about the Derby peregrines, and also learnt more about respecting the wildlife around us. You have made my life busy in an enjoyable way. Hope to see you again in my next visit to Derby. Jennie, HK.

Pax Canada said...

one on the pudding cam, one on the scrape.
To the three Nicks and the honourable Nick (Tony):) again a big thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon, thanks for the Lincoln info. I think all of the urban sites that have peregrines are really special (hmmm - maybe the jury's out about the Houses of Parliament!)- all of the buildings are special in one way or another. Derby's not exceptional in this way. But, to my mind, what always set Derby apart is the way it's such an inclusive project - I feel a real part of it and welcome in a way that other projects haven't managed. There is of a course a small risk attached to this, as has raised its unwelcome presence from time to time, but I hope this outreach and inclusive feeling never goes. The work with children and schools is also priceless - Derbyshire schoolchildren are so lucky, as they will one day realise.

Terri said...

I'd also like to thank Nick, Nick and Tony and indeed everyone else that's been involved in keeping this project alive. Thank you so much. Watching the peregrines throughout the spring has been a huge joy for me, an example of the internet being put to a truly worthwhile purpose. I was so sad about the death of 009, as were we all, but you can never expect nature to run smoothly, these things happen unfortunately.

I'll be taking a peek at the blog from time to time and I look forward to next spring when hopefully Mr. & Mrs. P will start the whole thing off once again. Any idea how many more years this pair are likely to have left in them?